Democratic Alliance Press Statement by
Ricardo Mackenzie MPP
DA Western Cape Spokesperson for Cultural Affairs and Sport
DA WELCOMES MUIZENBERG FESTIVAL 2014
The DA welcomes the Muizenberg Festival 2014 scheduled to take place from the 5 October until 11 October 2014. This week-long festival includes music concerts, workshops, expos and exhibitions. As this festival is scheduled during the school holidays it affords parents the opportunity to spend time with their children outdoors. During this festival which takes place days after heritage month, it shows that heritage is not only about braaing but also about arts and cultural affairs. The Muizenberg Festival 2014 will showcase many of these. The DA hopes that this festival will bring many families together and contribute to the social cohesion of the Western Cape as a whole.
People can experience the following at this festival:
- A walking tour through Muizenberg led by a master story teller,
- Intercultural arts workshops where communities of Vryground, Westlake and Muizenberg will be brought together,
- Workshops on building communities through creative arts,
- The play, Memory which is a story written by Theatre for Africa veteran Nhlanhla Mkwanazi,
- Women on Djembe which will teach people how to drum on the Djembe,
- Experience Zandvlei and its surroundings,
- Walk through the historic Muizenberg and of course take the train to Kalk Bay to enjoy fish and chips;
- Different foods and wines;
- The History of Muizenberg;
- Boat rides on the Vlei and many other activities.
The DA supports festivals like these, as they bring communities together, promote cultural diversity and encourage all to visit the festival and enjoy themselves responsibly. We also note that the Muizenberg Festival is an official World Design Capital (#WDC244) event, which the City of Cape Town is hosting.
The festival program can be viewed at www.muizenbergfestival2014.com
Ricardo Mackenzie – 078 564 5341
DA Western Cape Spokesperson on Cultural Affairs and Sport.